On Ravelry I joined a group that our goal is to read or listen to 52 books during the year. I thought it was a great idea so I joined. So far I have read: The Preacher's Daughter, The Englisher, and The Brethren all by Beverly Lewis, Death by Cashmere by Sally Goldenbaum, Knit Two by Kate Jacobs, and Silver Bells by Fern Michaels, Joann Ross, Mary Burton, and Judy Duarte.
I had a hard time with the books by Beverly Lewis these were my first books I read about the Amish. I enjoyed the main character Annie Zook and her struggle with her love of art and her religion forbidding it. I think the hard time I had was getting used to what this religion/way of life expects of its people. There are many topics brought up of the Amish life such as men and women roles and expectations, running around period (before joining the church), views on technology and fancy people. I overall found this series very interesting and will probably read more of the books by Beverly Lewis on the Amish.
Death by Cashmere was a great light mystery about a yarn store owner in Sea Harbor, MA. The story is about a murder and finding out the murderer. The descriptions of the yarn store made me wish that I could play in that yarn store. There was even a pattern for a scarf that was described in the book. It was a fun read and I will look into other books by Goldenbaum.
Knit Two by Kate Jacobs is a sequel to The Friday Night Knitting Club I found this book much better to the first. I really enjoyed the depth of the characters and story line. This book brought you more into their lives than the first. The plot is a continuation of the first and what is happening to all the woman now and goals they have. I would recommend Knit Two even if you did not care for The Friday Night Knitting Club since I found it much better and very enjoyable.
Silver Bells is a collection of short Christmas stories. I liked some of the stories more than others and found the book to be an ok book not one I would read again or say was a must read.
I am going to start the Dakota series by Debbie Macomber and after those a few others by Debbie Macomber than I will reread the first 6 books in the Sookie Stackhouse series and read the last two of the series by Charlaine Harris.
I hope to read at leat two nonfiction books but I tend to love Debbie Macomber, Charlaine Harris, and other easy read fiction. I like romance, mysteries, and contempary stories. I also would like to read some classics that I have not read yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds like I great group! I guess I need to get caught up! I have not done any reading so far this year yet!
Post a Comment