Monday, January 15, 2007
I need some encouragement. I've been eating vegetarian for two weeks now, I'm happy with it but want to break down and have a steak or something else. I've just found most of the recipes I've tried so far are kind of bland. I know I need to get some better flavored tortilla shells and some more salsa but it just feels like the recipes are really boring at times. I know I could eat the fake burgers and chicken, but I don't want to eat a lot of soy. I guess I need to just experiment more and keep trying new things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am full of encouragement! Cause you rock lady, & I know you can do anything that you want to do. And besides, food is fun & full of countless possibilities.
If you’re interested, here are some ideas:
(geez, did I write enough???)
-A fan favorite is a portobello mushroom cap “burger” & a side of fries.
-Bruschettas are tasty & pretty easy to make.
-I doubt that curries or most things made w/ ginger, miso, garlic, or red pepper would be bland.
-With mideastern food you can do falafel, hummus, tabbouleh, baba ganoush, & all kinds of salads I don’t know the names of offhand. And you can make them into sandwiches too.
-You mentioned salsa & tortilla shells, so there are also enchiladas, burritos, tortilla stacks, quesadillas, etc. And tamales (I’ve never made tamales, I bought them from Whole Foods & Wild Oats, but they were really good).
-I like to stir-fry beans or lentils, chopped vegetables, & nuts, add brown rice, & then eat it w/ tortilla chips like you would a salsa.
-Indian food is full of all sorts of big flavors.
-I love adding nuts into dishes. Particularly pastas and stir-fries. I like adding the nuts more towards the end (so they’re still crunchy).
-Peanut sauces make me happy (for example: smooth organic peanut butter, warm water, soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, sesame oil, lemon juice, & red pepper flakes whisked together).
-I know you mentioned not wanting to eat a lot of soy, so you might try lentil burgers, seitan, kibbeh, or panelle instead. (I’ve never been one to eat the processed-meat-replacement-flavored-soy-products either. Frustrates the servers at veggie friendly restaurants to no end.)
-If you’re not against soy entirely, you might try cooking tempeh, cause I love the stuff (but if you don’t like it, don’t necessarily write it off cause there are a number of different kinds & different ways to cook them). And tofu in general is like a big sponge that soaks up whatever flavors you cook it with.
-I like sweet potatoes, smoothies, yogurt w/ chopped fruit & granola, lasagna, grilled cheese & tomato soup, pizza, mac & chreeze w/ frozen peas mixed in (I just cook them in the water w/ the noodles), muffins, homemade oatmeal w/ strawberries on top, stir-fries galore (cause they're so easy & so versatile), and salads w/ crunchy vegetables & tomatoes & chunks of avocado w/ sea salt on top (I’m addicted to sea salt).
-Right now for quickie kitchen food, I’m into loading things up on toast. Toast w/ peanut butter & sliced banana on top, toast w/ sliced avocado sprinkled w/ sea salt & then pieces of lettuce on top ... it’s not exactly exciting, but I’m liking it a lot.
I must have upwards of 20 vegetarian cookbooks these days. Please give me an excuse to use them more. I can Xerox anything your heart desires. If you ever ever want something, all you gotta do is ask. =)
Post a Comment